ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
The purpose of this qualification is to equip students with skills and knowledge to operate as a Panel Beater.
A Panel Beater repairs damages to metal, composites (including fibre glass, rubber, plastic) on a vehicle and forms replacement body panels.
A qualified student will be able to:
- Perform automotive body repairs
- Remove and refit automotive mechanical components
- Perform auto-electrical repair activities
- Analyse damage to vehicles
Minimum Admission requirements
NQF Level 2 qualification with Mathematics.
A Panel Beater repairs damage to metal and composites (including fibre glass, rubber, and plastic) on vehicles and forms replacement body panels.
The qualification also aims to address a range of related occupations like that of autobody repairer, automotive trimmer, chassis straightener, rust repairer, vehicle finisher. The competencies which the student will acquire will enable him/her to perform a range of activities to repair/rehabilitate a damaged vehicle.
This is a 3-Year Programme. Students rotate between time spent at College and time spent in the workplace.
- Automotive body repairs theory, NQF Level 4
- Automotive mechanical theory, NQF Level 3
- Auto-electrical theory, NQF Level 3
- Analysis of damage, NQF Level 4
Practical Skill Modules
- Remove and refit automotive body components, NQF Level 3
- Perform basic repairs to vehicle bodies, NQF Level 3
- Perform advanced repairs to vehicle body and structure,
NQF Level 4
- Remove and refit vehicle mechanical components and perform wheel alignment,
NQF Level 4
- Remove and replace auto-electrical components and perform diagnostics,
NQF Level 3
- Analyse damage in terms of job cards and report to the supervisor, NQF Level 4
Work Experience Modules
This qualification also requires the following work experience modules:
- Removal and replacement processes for a range of automotive body components and trim in an auto-body workshop, NQF Level 3
- Basic vehicle body repair processes, NQF Level 3
- Major vehicle body repair processes, NQF Level 4
- Removal and replacement of mechanical components,
NQF Level 3
- Removal and refitting of auto-electrical components and performance of basic fault-finding, NQF Level 3
- Analysis of damage against job cards, NQF Level 4
- Structured planning and communication processes in the workplace, NQF Level 4