ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
This qualification is registered on the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO): ID 97542
The purpose of this qualification is to prepare a learner to operate as an Early Childhood Development Practitioner.
An Early Childhood Development Practitioner plans and prepares early childhood activities, facilitates and mediates learning, observes and assesses the progress of children, and reflects on learning in an inclusive, play-based environment to support holistic development of children (from conception – school going) in different centre-based or non-centre based settings.
A qualified learner will be able to:
- Plan and prepare broad-phase learning environment and stimulating activities that meet the holistic needs of all children in centre-based or non-centre-based settings.
- Facilitate and mediate all aspects of the daily programme in a centre-based or non-centre based setting.
- Observe, assess and record each child’s progress according to the age and stage.
- Compile a report of each child’s progress.
- Maintain and promote the well-being, health, nutrition, safety and protection of children.
Minimum Admission requirements
- Grade 12 with at least 2 languages passed above 40%.
- Evidence of employment (or volunteer status) at an ECD / Educare facility.
Qualifying for external assessment:
In order to qualify for the external summative assessment, learners must have a copy of a completed and signed Statement of Work Experience as well as proof of successful completion of the following subjects and Modules or Alternative Programmes where applicable:
- Foundational Learning Competence is a pre-requisite for access to the external integrated summative assessment.
Once you’ve completed the study programme, you will be qualified to teach toddlers 0 to 4 years of age, be able to open and manage your own ECD centre, or care for children in ECD facilities. Au Pair, Nursery school principal, classroom assistant and ECD field officer to conduct site visits and implantation strategies.
This qualification is made up of the following compulsory Knowledge Modules, Practical Skill Modules and Work Experience Modules totalling 131 Credits:
Knowledge Modules: 43 Credits
- 234201000-KM-01, Introduction to the early childhood development sector, at NQF Level 4, 4 Credits.
- 234201000-KM-02, Theories and Perspectives of Child Development, at NQF Level 5, 6 Credits.
- 234201000-KM-03, Planning and Programme Development in early childhood settings, at NQF Level 4, 8 Credits.
- 234201000-KM-04, Facilitation and mediation of active learning, at NQF Level 5, 12 Credits.
- 234201000-KM-05, Observation and assessment in early childhood development, at NQF Level 4, 4 Credits.
- 234201000-KM-06, Promotion of health, safety and well-being of children, at NQF Level 4, 6 Credits.
- 234201000-KM-07, Administration for early childhood development services and programmes, at NQF Level 3, 3 Credits.
Practical Skill Modules; 43 Credits
- 234201000-PM-01, Plan and prepare inclusive educational activities and routines using an approved programme based on the curriculum framework, at NQF Level 4, 12 Credits.
- 234201000-PM-02, Facilitate and mediate active learning in an integrated and holistic learning programme, at NQF Level 5, 9 Credits.
- 234201000-PM-03, Observe, assess, record and report each child’s progress according to the age and stage, at NQF Level 4, 4 Credits.
- 234201000-PM-04, Support and promote the health, nutrition, safety, protection and well-being of children, at NQF Level 4, 12 Credits.
- 234201000-PM-05, Build and maintain collaborative relationships with parents and other service providers, at NQF Level 4, 3 Credits.
- 234201000-PM-06, Prepare and maintain administrative systems, at NQF Level 3, 3 Credits.
Work Experience Modules; 45 Credits
- 234201000-WM-01, Learning programme and routines planning and preparation process, at NQF Level 4, 13 Credits.
- 234201000-WM-02, Processes of facilitating and mediating the learning programme in a variety of contexts, at NQF Level 4, 15 Credits.
- 234201000-WM-03, Processes of observation, assessment, recording and reporting on children’s learning and development, at NQF Level 4, 7 Credits.
- 234201000-WM-04, Processes and procedures of promoting the health, nutrition, safety, protection and well-being of children in an early childhood development setting, at NQF Level 4, 10 Credits.