ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
The Report 191 Educare programme is being discontinued at all TVET Colleges. The discontinuation/phase out date provided by the Department of Higher Education and Training is 01 January 2024. Therefore, there will be no new enrolments into the programme at N4 in 2023. The offering of N5 and N6 certificates will be phased out, and aligned to the last date that will be granted for the last N6 students in the system to obtain their N6 certificate.
The programme teaches you to identify signs and symptoms of child illnesses, learn the methodology of planning and presenting lessons and business management principles to deal with staff and budgets, and so much more.
This course consists of N5 and N6 certificates. After completing the N6 Certificate students are required to provide proof to the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) of 18 months’ work experience in the relevant industry, in order to qualify for the National N Diploma. The National N Diploma is issued by the DHET if all requirements are met.
Minimum Admission requirements
- Minimum entry requirement for N5 is a N4 Certificate in Educare
- Minimum entry requirement for N6 is a N5 Certificate in Educare
With this qualification you can pursue a career as a Day Care Manager, Pre-School Teacher; teaching 0-4-year-olds, Au Pair or Entrepreneur.
- Day Care Manager
- Pre-School Teacher
- Au Pair
- Entrepreneur–open your own ECD Centre
- Each level takes six months full-time to complete
- A total of 18 months to complete the theoretical components (N4,N5,N6)
- Each level consists of four subjects. On completion of a level, a student is awarded a certificate at that level
- 18 months’ practical experience in the work environment (in-service training)
- It takes a minimum of three years to qualify for a National N Diploma
- Day Care Communication N5
- Educare Didactics (Theory and Practical) N5
- Educational Psychology N5
- Entrepreneurship and Business Management N4
- Day Care Communication N6
- Educare Didactics (Theory and Practical) N6
- Educational Psychology N6
- Day Care Management N6
WHAT DO THESE SUBJECTS ENTAIL?
Educare Didactics (Theory and Practical):
Observations, educational play, environmental studies, history (background for the educarer), movement activities. Layout of the baby section (nursery) centre and later a toddler section and home-based care, educational play and toys, activities appropriate for babies and toddlers. There are practical workplace hours required for this subject throughout the semester.
Day Care Communication:
Concepts of communications, language skills, correspondence and written work, textual studies: fiction, non-fiction, films and videos. Creative writing, study skills and question-and-answer techniques.
Social and moral theories and personality development. Development of communication skills and life skills. Behaviour problems, different teaching approaches for the pre-school child, school maturity and school readiness.
Entrepreneurship and Business Management:
Marketing a business, business planning, financial, administrative and purchasing planning, introduction to managing a business, entering the business world, market and financial feasibility studies, presenting a business plan.
Day Care Management:
Food management, financial management and stock control, staff management and training, administrative management, dealing with the health and safety needs of children, aids to management, legislation and registration, office documentation and filing systems, parental involvement.