ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
This Early Childhood Development (ECD) programme allows ECD Practitioners (e.g. home-based practitioners, family and community ECD motivators, fieldworkers, facilitators, trainers and managers) to provide appropriate education, training and development services in the ECD sub-field.
It will also enable ECD practitioners to use their knowledge of child growth and development from birth to six years and knowledge relevant to national policies to guide their professional practice in the ECD sub-field.
Minimum Admission requirements
FETC: ECD NQF Level 4 and currently employed in the ECD field.
Once you’ve completed the programme, you will be qualified to teach in Educare facilities and ECD centres. You will also be able to open and manage your own Educare centre.
18 months, Part-Time
The Fundamental component consists of Unit Standards to the value of 15 credits, all of which are compulsory and includes topics like:
- Apply workplace communication skills
- Present information in a public setting
The Core component consists of Unit Standards to the value of 72 credits, all of which are compulsory:
- Develop and manage the ECD learning programme
- Mediate active learning in ECD programmes
- Promote healthy development in ECD programmes
The Elective Component consists of Unit Standards which students are to choose to the minimum of 33 credits. Topics include:
- Facilitate a Life Skills Learning Programme in the Reception Year
- Facilitate a Literacy Learning Programme in the Reception Year
- Facilitate a Numeracy Learning Programme in the Reception Year